If this is your first time using Zoom, you will have to download the client.
Each meeting has a unique 9, 10, or 11-digit number called a meeting ID that will be required to join a Zoom meeting. If you have received an email or a meeting with a Zoom Meeting link, you can click on that URL to open the Zoom client.
You can also join meetings directly from the Zoom client.
- Open the Zoom Client.
- Click Join a Meeting and enter the meeting ID number, along with your display name.
- Select if you would like to connect audio and/or video and click Join.
For more information, visit this Zoom Support article: Joining a Meeting.
Before your meeting, it would be helpful to become familiar with the Zoom Menu. Here are the main icons displayed during a Zoom Meeting:
- Microphone: mute/unmute your microphone
- Video: start/stop your device webcam which allows other participants to see you
- Chat (chat bubble): join the chat discussion, pose questions, and post website URLs
- Participants: view who else is in attendance and raise your hand
- Share Screen: present content from your screen then stop sharing when finished
- Leave Meeting: at the of the online class leaving the meeting
- Click the Share Screen button located in your meeting controls.
- Select the screen you want to share.
- Click Share.
- Once you are sharing, you can chose to pause or stop sharing your screen.
For more information, visit the Zoom Support article: How Do I Share My Screen?.
- Lighting your face more brightly than the background makes it easier to see you.
- Keeping your head high in the picture frame conveys confidence.
- Dress appropriately: you are being seen!
- Physical movement and facial expressions matter, just as in a face-to-face context.
- Mics pick up ambient noise, so it’s best to keep your microphone muted until you're ready to speak.
- Remember that when on-camera, other activities such as eating, drinking, flossing your teeth, and shuffling papers are extremely unflattering and distracting.
- If you can't use video, upload a nice profile image of your face to your Zoom Account
- SSU IT Help Desk: 707-664-HELP (4357) / firstname.lastname@example.org
- SSU Center for Teaching & Educational Technology : 707-664-2659 / email@example.com
- Zoom Support: +1.888.799.9666 ext 2 or +1.650.397.6096 ext 2 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- View Zoom Support Center Getting Started Resources
- Register for Live Training provided by Zoom or Watch Recorded Training Sessions