Turnitin is an originality checking and plagiarism prevention service that checks submitted student work for citation mistakes or inappropriate copying. When students submit a paper, TurnItIn compares the paper to its database which includes billions of webpages, a repository of student work, and a collection of documents, journals, periodicals, and publications. The utilization of TurnItIn aligns with Sonoma State University's policy to be pro-active in dealing with issues of cheating and plagiarism.
Faculty have access to TurnItIn, which directly integrates within a Canvas course assignment.
- To learn more about how to set up TurnItIn assignments in your Canvas course, consult our Setting Up TurnItIn Framework in Canvas guide.
- For guides about using the TurnItIn LTI in Canvas, please visit TurnItIn's Feedback Studio. There are also Student specific guides, as a useful resource to direct your students to if they are unfamiliar with TurnItIn.
- For more about Canvas and TurnItIn integration, visit this Canvas Community blog topic: Canvas and Turnitin.
For assistance with setting up TurnItIn or how to interpret Similarity Reports, contact the Center for Teaching and Educational Technology.
- Center for Teaching & Educational Technology: Please email the front desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up a 1:1 consultation with staff for in-depth workflow questions
- Center for Teaching & Educational Technology: Online Zoom meeting room (9 am-5 pm, M-F)
- Center for Teaching & Educational Technology: Submit a Help Ticket (email support)
TurnItIn Customer Support